Saturday, June 11, 2011

Albinos.

Have you ever seen a white black person?

They are pretty common here. Mozambique has the highest percentage of albinos in the world. I see at least one albino per day, which i am pretty surprised with.

Why they are so much common here than any where else?

It is very interesting to me.

I've learned a couple interesting things about albinos. Here is one, 96% of albinos have eye problems. Ujembe (pictured below) has an eye problem called Nystagmus. His eyes are constantly moving involuntarily. Poor guy. Another interesting thing I've learned is that there are some crazy beliefs about albinos in Africa. A lot of them are killed by the people so the "witch doctors" can use their body parts for potions and/or remedies. Read this article.
Alex(on his mission) with a former missionary Elder Ujembe(albino)

1 comment:

  1. I realize this is not exactly the same thing, but I once saw an albino Polynesian guy. He was at the very least interesting.

    ReplyDelete